Friday, January 01, 2010

A Hokkien Song That Sounded Terribly Wrong

Recently there's a Hokkien song that I constantly hear over Rediffusion that caused me to get choked on my food, for it sounded terribly wrong, as if it's a vulgar song. Of course, I know well it is not the case, for such songs will definitely get banned by MDA (or whatever relevant authorities). But the words to the song really sounded like some very common Hokkien vulgarities that even after hearing it for so many times over and over again, I still found it very wrong. So, I went to did a search on this song using part of the lyrics as keywords, and I found out that this song is "Super Sales" (超级卖 in Chinese, see what I mean now?) by Cai Qiufeng. If you're still not convinced, have a listen at it:


To be honest, despite its weird-sounding nature, I quite like the song. Not only is the melody catchy, I like how it takes a more light-hearted and nonchalant approach to all the social problems in this present day Taiwan. But then again, I wonder if any of the people involved in the production of Cai's album realised this vulgarity-soundalike issue or not?

No comments: