Sunday, December 18, 2005

Singapore's Chinese Newspaper

Recently I have been collecting newspaper cuttings related to my Chinese opera troupe and typing them out to be published onto the troupe's website.

However, the more I type, the more frustrated I become. Not because the typing job is tedious, but the amount of grammatical and naming errors I've found in these reports are really making me go crazy. I am no Chinese expert, and if I can spot such mistakes, then there must be something very wrong with them already! Being a leader in the news and media field in Singapore, how can such errors happen? And it is not just one or two, but almost every alternate newspaper cutting that I read, be it something published just recently or dated as far back as 1990. I thought they should at least be more professional and check through their reports thoroughly before they even send for print

Frankly speaking, I'm totally disappointed with the local Chinese newspaper that I just can't be bothered to read. Especially so when they're more like gossiping tabloids than a mainstream news provider! Now that I've seen these "silly mistakes", it makes me even more determined to stay clear from them. Hopefully I can finish all my current collection of newspaper cuttings fast and get them out of my sight!

5 comments:

amai said...

Delightful marrionettes. I told my TW friend about it, she told me that the troupe is worldwide famous. My Tw friend is looking for min ju and I have gotten her 2 titles already. ^^

A.C. said...

Yes.. the "angmohs" are simply thrilled by their performances! But anyway, you posted at the wrong subject. Hee..

amai said...

haha...I din notice that I had posted wrongly. Anyway please blog as much as you can. I love to read your blogs. Very very interesting and I take them as a form of upgrading yozz.

A.C. said...

If you have noticed, I have sort of "lost steam" already in my writing. Sometimes I can start off quite well, but ended my post quite abruptly. Don't know why, maybe too impatient to write, yet did not want to compromise on my language. Haha...

amai said...

Er... I am even worse, with my lousy language, not many would be interested to read.