Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Budget Terminal

Yesterday evening, I sent my father off to the airport as he was heading off to Hat Yai to buy medication. This wasn’t my first time driving my parents to and from the airport, but this time round, my father’s taking the flight from the Budget Terminal.

My initial idea of the terminal was that it should be located somewhere near Terminal 2, and perhaps interlinked with the skytrain. I was wrong! I had to make a u-turn somewhere before reaching Terminal 1, and made some more confusing turns and lane-changing before I reached the Budget Terminal. From the exterior, it looked more like Tanah Ferry Terminal than the other 2 terminals. It looked well-designed anyway, but my praises for the terminal was cut-short soon after, when I was trying to park my car. The parking slot seemed much smaller than normal carparks, and the space between the vehicles on my left and right side were very narrow. This was despite the fact that both vehicles were parking right in the centre of their slots. I then decided to shift to another lot with an empty adjacent one.

The interior of the terminal’s departing hall looked spacious and a bit empty too. Well what more can one expect, when there’s only 1 carrier flying there at this moment. There weren’t anything much to do at that terminal too, if you’re not a travelling passenger, as there is only a Hans eatery outlet within the terminal (and outside, excluding the area beyond the check-in zone). My parents and I had not had our dinner, so we have no choice but to patronise Hans. Luckily for my parents, they do have Chinese (local) food there. However, their menu was designed like a traditional flight display system, without any accompanying pictures for reference. My mother was upset as she wasn’t sure what they had to offer. Finally, under my recommendation, she decided to order a plate of Hor-fun, while my father settled for just a piece of tuna roll. I ordered a grilled fish set, and though it was more expensive than my mother’s Hor-fun, I find it quite cheap, since it comes with soup, drinks and dessert. My mother was initially grumbling about the price of her Hor-fun, but later dismissed it as she find the Hor-fun quite delicious.

After our meal, my father proceeded to his check-in while my mother and I headed home. The sky was turning dark now as the sun had completely set. The lit terminal looked more charming now than when I first arrived, but I was not in the mood to admire it; I just want to return home fast and remove my working attire!

4 comments:

amai said...

heehee...nice to read your articles yozz. ^^

fr said...

i also took Tiger recently, the Budget hall is spacious but nothing much to see..hard to while away the waiting time.. but ok lah, fare is cheap

A.C. said...

That's what I thought to. Even airport at Phnom Penh or Siem Reap has got more things to see and do!

Kongming said...

other airlines r still sitting to see e situation. Anyway another expensive terminal is coming up for high class ppl