Monday, June 26, 2006

The Pencil and the Brush

I love to draw, and the pencil is my best friend in the world of stationeries. However, I can't say the same for it's near relative: the paintbrush. I loathes it, because to me, it is more like a weapon of mass destruction to my artwork. In short, I can't paint to save my life! In fact, it was only in recent years that I started to get a little more comfortable with coloured-pencils and markers on my sketches.

It's such irony, that I've been longing to be a graphic designer, and is currently doing scenography works, and yet I don't know how to handle the paintbrush. Somemore, it was my childhood dream to become an artist one day! Anyway, I picked up my most dreaded paintbrush today again, as I have to make some hanging props for my opera troupe's performance next month. The picture I had to paint is actually quite simple; just an abstract dragon design in the middle of a circular flat using only three colours. Yet, I still have to spend 2 1/2 hours to get it done. And it's not even totally complete yet!

On a side note, I think I might have to work alongside with my "foe" more often in the near future, as my responsibilities as a scenographer cum stageart maker (for small performances) will be getting heavier and heavier. By hook or by crook, I'll have to brush up my skills or else I'll have a hard time delivering my works

Watch out, paintbrush! I'm out to get you!

5 comments:

amai said...

Wow...I cant even draw....sighz...

juanjuan said...

Wow.. looks like many of us are not only "artiste".. we are "artist" as well hor..

See.. AC, wmy, lf, mk....

Not sure who else can draw... i can only draw simple candy candy lor..

A.C. said...

Huh... don't you already know I can draw?

fr said...

I can add and subtract, not draw. I think MK can draw.

Mr RM said...

You got my full support.... I think I am seeing a GREAT artist in the making....