Sunday, May 06, 2007

Hair Talk

Going to the hair salon or barbershop is one of the things I'd rather avoid, for I'm rather particular about my hair (although at times I just can't be bothered to comb it). There had been too many unhappy experiences whereby I get very ugly haircuts. Therefore, usually I'd go get a haircut like once in two or three months, only when neccessary. Despite that, the adventurous person in me would always try new hairstyles whenever possible. Those who know me would probably recall I went to do a twist perm and bleaching of my hair last year, and on my next haircut, I "straightened" it (actually it's the twist perm losing its effect due to poor maintenance) and dyed it to blue-black. I looked so different in these two styles that one of my colleagues actually did not recognised me in office, until I called out to her!

On Labour Day, I went for a haircut at my favourite salon, and I changed my hairstyle again. This time round, I did a rebond, something which I had long wanted because I don't fancy my wavy, hard-to-manage hair. It was a very long process, having to coat the hair with a chemical to break the hair's disulfide bonds. Afterwhich, the hair was to be straightened with a thermal straight iron, and then another coat of chemical was applied to reform the broken disulfide bonds. All in all, it took about 3 1/2 hours, the longest period I've spent in a hair salon excluding waiting time! There was a bit of discomfort too, when my hairstylist was using the thermal straight iron. You see, this iron is like a waffle irons, except for the fact that the hot plates were long and thin rather than round, and it's very hot. Everytime the hairstyle places the thermal straight iron near me, I could feel the heat, and I was quite scared that he would make waffles out of my flesh. Of course I was in good hands, and nothing of that sort happened, but then everytime he finished a section of my hair, the heat from the iron would be still trapped inside my hair, and I felt as if my hair was burning.

All these aside, the final result was still quite pleasing to me. Not only did my hair turned straight, but it looked healthier and shinier too. Even some of my colleagues thought I had done a recolouring of my hair too, as my hair colour had became brighter as well. And how much I paid in total? Just S$80 to my surprise, as usually it'd cost over $100 just for the rebonding alone in other salons. I'm not sure if it's because I am their regular customer, or that it's one of their reopening promotion (they just shifted to their present location a few days ago), or simply because my hair was relatively short compared to their other clients, mainly females. Whatever it is, I'm quite satisfied with the results, and I might consider keeping this hairstyle for good.



How I looked years ago in short hair


After twst perm last year


After my twist perm lost it's effect and hair recoloured late last year


My hair recoloured and longer earlier this year


After rebonding now

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wowo.. look so diff... this sat must come kh let us see the new hair... xj