Friday, July 11, 2008

Photographs, Photographs and More Photographs!

I was clearing out my photo albums to make way for new books when I realised that I have a lot of hard copy photographs of Zhangzhou City Xiangju Opera Troupe's performances; one big stack as shown here:

That's horribly a lot, considering that those were just for about 10-odd performances which I had watched, and this stack here only comprises of selected shots which I feel is good enough for print. Imagine how many photographs were there for Xiamen Municipality Opera Troupe, which had performed 3 times at Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple!
My shelf of photo albums; more than half of which are Chinese opera performance shots!

It's no doubt I love photography, though not exclusively for Chinese opera performance. My passion for photography became so intense that I just bring my digital camera along whenever I go out. And it's not that slim-body type, but those bulky digital EOS kind! Basically I'd take pictures of whatever I find interesting. (Luckily, I didn't develop them into physical photographs as I was too lazy to organise them into different albums.) Of course, my notion of "interesting" may not be interesting enough for the average people; I like scenes with strong sense of lines or repeated patterns (for those who're into art or design, does that remind you of EPAD: Elements and Principles of Art and Design?), or anything that has a rich history and is hard to find in present urban Singapore. However, as my photo-taking are rather impromptu, hence many of them do not have the feel and mood like those professional or artistic photographs. I do wish, though, that one day I can have my own artistic photography portfolio, provided I have the time and energy to do so!
A shot of a stairwell at Raffles Place over a decade ago; I just find the repetition of lines in this shot interesting (though not technically nice enough)

No comments: