Thursday, February 03, 2005

Serving Thai Customers

My company is located in the first level of a shopping mall commonly known as "Little Thailand". You can see Thais sitting anywhere and everywhere on the floor outside the mall having "picnic". you can find grocery shops sellings anything from thai newspapers to "smelly fish". You can also find eatery stalls selling food which you don't find in Thai restaurants. Although the surroundings of my work place is very Thai, we seldom have Thai customers. However today, two2 Thai ladies walked in to buy air tickets. They speak very limited English and no one at work is able to interact with them. Although I had learnt Thai for about 2 years now, I am still far from being able to hold a decent conversation. However, seeing such a situation, I forced myself to step forward to serve them. They did not buy the tickets from me in the end, as they find the tickets too expensive. That was an experience! I was so nervous and really shaking all over. I think I made many lingual blunders, and I guess the two ladies had a hard time understanding me as well!

No comments: