Thursday, January 26, 2006

Meeting Up With Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe

Yesterday night, I went to the temple at Arumugam Road to buy tickets for Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe's performance which was scheduled to start today. I was about to leave the temple when I heard people talking and laughing loudly from a corner of the temple. The sound came from the dining hall, the place where the invited opera troupes would normally gather to eat as well as do their makeup for their performances. I had long wanted to meet Mr. Yang and director Wu before their performance starts, as I believe I would not have time to see them again (our troupe leader had ordered us to not go look for them after 5pm so that they can concentrate on their preparation for the show).
As I approached the door, I could see Mr. Yang happily eating steamboat. I was standing directly in front of him, but he couldn't see me! It took him quite a while before he noticed my presence. I just wanted to say "hi" to him, but he pulled me into the kitchen, and took me to see director Wu and Mr. Chen Bin, who were sitting at another table. Surprisingly, Mr. Chen Bin could still remember me (but he could only remember a character of my name), although we only met once in 2000, and we rarely talked back then. Mr. Yang then dragged me to his table to join him in his dinner, although I told him I had already taken my dinner before I went over. That's how hospitable he is! When I went to his house a few years back without any notice, he wasn't at all unhappy, and even arranged an accomodation for me that night.
Back to the present, I was sitting at this table with another lady, whom I could not confirm if she was Lin Xiuzhen, a huadan actress in the troupe. I asked Mr. Yang, and he confirmed my query. Lin Xiuzhen was very suprised that I actually knew her by name. She was quite friendly, and even toasted me to a small amount of beer. I had seen some other actresses from other troupes who just love putting on airs, as if they're some hot superstars.
That night, I also saw Ziken, an ex-musician from our troupe. He was there to visit director Wu, Mr. Chen Bin and Mr. Yang. He had also volunteered to bring them to Chinatown for a tour. Seeing that they were about to leave soon, I quickly excused myself from the table (from the food and beer as well!) and bided farewell to my teachers.
The troupe will be starting their performance season tomorrow. I hope they will be able to wow local audiences just like how they did 18 years ago. All the best to Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe!

7 comments:

amai said...

Putting on hot airs?
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahah.
Who?
Maybe they do not know you.
Lin Xiu Zhen is okie yozz.
I hanged out with them last June and went to their countryside performances. They are nice people actually. Almost all of them knew me and when they saw me , they greeted me warmly.
But...but...there is a room , if you noticed, have names of those bigger shots...Er...er... I din go and said hello to them. I went straight to the gals' room. I like to be with them , made me more at ease. All the bigger shots in a room yozz. (LOL)
If you spent time with them at the countryside, they are not so bad at all. Talking of hot airs, XM is number one! They practically ignored you and saw you through. SYR is our friend so she is fine. But the rest....really.....really
"megastars". WFH such a famous yueju actress, no big airs at all! Chen Fei is also nice. Even Wu Suying is not too bad too. Compared to SH, they have enough air to make a big hot balloon!
Dun forget, in other people's eyes, you-know-who-yozz, they labelled us as proud too. We don't even interact much and yet we are branded as proud people.

amai said...

Oh...I misread your blog...
Hehehehe.... some troupes are like to put on hot airs...(LOL)

A.C. said...

we are labelled proud due to jealousy! Hahaha...
Those big shots like to sit at one table also. When Yang brought me to see director Wu, I almost froze to death... so many biggies looking at me! Hahaha...

amai said...

Hahahahahhahahahhaha. That's y I dun bother to sit at the long table yozz, I went to the gals' rm straightaway. Wahahahahahhaha.

A.C. said...

you of course can la! I can't.. Hahaha....

amai said...

Hehehehe.... So I stayed in their rm and chatted happily. Made me temporarily forget my unhappiness last week!
U know I am so touched by ZZ's music!!!!!How I wish my troupe's music would be like that!

fr said...

The troupe members seemed to be very hospitable.

Wish you a happy CNY and success in all your performances.