Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Frozen in Time: A Small Hawker Centre at Pasir Panjang

This morning I was at a customer's office in The Comtech, and by the time I left the place, it was already 12.30pm. I was hungry then, and hence decided to just have a simple and quick meal nearby. The first dining place that came to my mind was a small hawker centre just across Pasir Panjang Road.



I've never been to this hawker centre, but merely passed by years ago. Back then, during my navy days, I once took a wrong bus from Pulau Brani and ended up in Tanjong Belayer camp, which was right at the end of the same road in which this hawker centre was located. My only memory of the hawker centre is that it was a very small and quiet hawker centre. I was surprised by what I saw the moment I reached the place: it was indeed very small, with only about 6 to 7 stalls and 20 over tables. The place was quite run down, and seemed like it had never been renovated for decades. It was almost like frozen in time, or that I'd arrived at a small town in one of those Indonesian islands just south of Singapore. The only hint of being in modern Singapore were perhaps the row of Singaporean cars parked just outside the hawker centre, as well as the hawkers' hygiene certificate hanging outside their stall. Thankfully there were wall fans to help bring down the temperature of the blazing afternoon.

In terms of food variety, it was quite limited there, as all stalls were selling Malay food. However, one particular stall caught my attention with their fried chicken hanging at their glass display. I saw that they were selling my favourite mee siam, and was about to order, but ended up buying nasi ayam goreng (fried chicken rice) instead. The fried chicken rice tasted nice, but I find it rather expensive, considering that it WAS indeed just "nasi" and "ayam goreng" only and nothing else! Well they did serve me a bowl of soup too. It tasted good too, but it was simply too oily for me to dare drink more. Anyway, someone else who shared the table as me ordered a plate of mee maggi seafood (instant noodles fried with seafood), and it seemed more appetitising to me. I should have ordered that!

Before I left, I decided to snap a few pictures of it with my handphone. Too bad I did not bring my digital camera along, or else I'd surely snap more. Such a nice and nostalgic place, I really hope this place will not disappear in the near future at the expense of developing the area.

3 comments:

Kongming said...

its near e road to labordor park right?

A.C. said...

In fact, this hawker centre is just beside the entry of this road to Labrador Park. It's called Labrador Villa Road. I don't know why the name, when I don't see any resorts or villas or bungalows nearby!

food lover said...

sadly, it has been demolished in 2008 i think

used to patronize it when i worked around alexandra