Friday, May 12, 2006

Happy Vesak Day!

It's Vesak Day today, a day where Buddhists worldwide celebrate 3 major events together: the birth, the enlightenment and the passing away of the Lord Buddha.

Due to the assimilation of the Buddha's teachings into various cultures as the religion spread from India to every corner of the earth, the Vesak Day is celebrated differently in different countries. One thing in common though, is that this day is celebrated as a religious festival and not a festive occasion. However, depending on individual's stand on the religion, the religious observations of one devotee may vary from another. Offering of flowers, candles and joss sticks to the Buddha in temples is the standard practice, together with the "Buddha bathing" ceremony. Some may also stay vegetarian for the day as well. I always do the former, but not the latter. Not that I'm less religious, but I feel that if you truely believe in the idea of vegetarian, you should practice that daily, and not just for a day in a year or month. But of course, I must admit that as compared to some other devotees, I'm not too religous too, as I don't go to the temples a night before to chant sutras and undergo the candlelit procession. Perhaps my faith in Buddhism is half-religious and half-philosophical!

Nevertheless, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all Buddhists world wide a Happy Vesak Day, and may them be blessed by the Triple Gems.

1 comment:

fr said...

Haha...I still remember some Buddhist teachings and which I agree with very much: The causes of suffering are Desire and Ignorance.