Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tribute to Chen Jinlang

Even as I write this post, I have this strange feeling inside me. I'm not a fan of Chen Jinlang, but why am I writing a tribute to him?

For those who do not know him, Chen Jinlang, 45, was a famous Hokkien Getai singer in Singapore. He had started singing at a young age, and till now, had a large fanbase, consisting mainly of middle-aged aunties. In recent years, however, his lives were full of up-and-downs as he became bankrupt, and was sentenced to jail once for leaving Singapore without permission on numerous occasions. Last year, he was diagnosed with colon cancer, and lost his battle on 25th July 2006, which co-incidentally happened to be the 1st day of the 7th lunar month.

His funeral function happened to be just the the void deck of my flats, and for the past few days, the function was packed with many people, among them were loyal fans and people in the entertainment line. My parents did went to take a look at the function, and even bought his concert VCD, which was recorded a few years ago and currently on sale at the funeral function. I find it rather eerie, that he was already lying in his coffin downstairs, and outside in the living room, his singing was still lingering in the air!

Before his death, I don't really like Chen Jinlang. Not that I dislike him, but I personally do not like Getai form of entertainment. However, after listening to his songs for quite a while (my Mum has been playing his songs at home days before his death, after rumours were spreading that he might had passed away already), I found that his voice isn't really that bad. At least he sounded more soothing than the flamboyant Lin Li, who looked more like a desperate clown than a professional singer. Anyway, not only did Chen Jinlang able to sing pop songs well, he sounded equally good when he sings Hokkien opera. I happened to hear the part in his concert whereby he sang Hokkien opera, and it sounded just like what a Hokkien opera singer should sing like.

It was such an irony that I only managed to realise his potential after his death, but I am glad that at least I get to find out! Goodbye Chen Jinlang, may the Buddha's sutras lead you on to your next life...

4 comments:

Chai Soon 才顺 said...

At least, you have a chance to appreciate his songs just before his death. I bought one of his albums many years ago. My siblings were puzzled why I listened to hokkien songs. They would always teased me when I played that cassette. I also watched his getai by chance when he came to perform in the northern part of Singapore. I must say that the whole show was extremely vulgar but he was able to make the audience laugh and release their stress.

Anonymous said...

Last year i happn to watch his getai near my home. He was already ill but very courages to fight with the cancer. When one is diagnose to hv cancer, his days r numbered, no matter how optimistic one is... Bless u Mr Chen Jin Lang...

pk

A.C. said...

Thomas: Yes, getais can be very vulgar. That's why I don't like such shows. As a matter of fact, he had once approached our troupe to collaborate in a show, but because our performance styles are on the extreme ends, we had to decline his offer. But then, I think this is part and parcel of his job, since the demand is there.

vinyl said...

Chen Jin Lang i listened his songs since young my mum alot of his cds i still his cd he was the getai legend of singapore and will never be forgotten. By the way i do not know how i managed to get chen jin lang funeral cd