Monday, November 27, 2006

Hectic Sunday: "Butterfly Lovers" Performance

It was a hectic Sunday, as I had 2 events to attend to, one after another. The first was our opera troupe's performance of "Butterfly Lovers" at Chong Pang Community Club in the evening, and another one was Potato's live concert at Thai Disco, Golden Mile Complex at night. Luckily for me, both events do not really clash with one another, but since the concert was to start at 11pm, and I don't expect my performance to end before 10.30pm, the north-south travelling time would be a bit of a problem.

For our performance, we do not just solely put on a show like in the past. We were told by our organisers to hold a small opera exhibition as well, showcasing some props, costumes and information on our opera. Luckily for me, I had to act on stage, so I was spared of the task of introducing the various props and costumes to the member of parliament VIPs, who had been invited to host the opening ceremony to the show. Art was not acting in this show, hence she was delegated this task. She was afraid that her knowledge might not be adequate enough to give an introduction, but I thought she did a good job, as I can see that the VIPs were very pleased.

Chong Pang Community Club was our stronghold performance venue, partly due to the fact that there were alot of Hokkien opera lovers living in the area, and also because our performances there had so far been free of charge due to some generous sponsorship. The crowd yesterday was huge as usual, but it seemed larger than previous times. Perhaps "Butterfly Lovers" was an all-time favourite among opera watchers, hence they do not mind watching it again although they might have watched it years back when we performed the same show at the community club. It is always a good feeling when the turnout rate is good, because it will boost one's morale in acting. I remembered once we performed at a temple fair, and the foul weather then resulted in almost no audience, and it really made us moody.

Our performance started at 7.30pm, and ended at around 10pm, which was actually quite early, but not to the community centre's staff, as they knock off at 10pm sharp. The response from the audience was great; they applauded thunderously during the finale of the show, when 2 butterflies emerged out of Shanbo's grave after Yingtai jumped into it. This is an indication saying that our show was overall a success, despite various hiccups along the way.

The show may have ended, but my day had not come to an end; I still have to rush to catch Potato live in concert! (to be continued...)




Testing mic. time for our actors


Our show in action from the backstage

7 comments:

juanjuan said...

yep, i also think that wmy has done a good job - both in setting up and taking care of the opera exploration corner!

Your posters and flyers are also well done!

Thanks a lot... :)

A.C. said...

Well, the "preface" and troupe intro thngie were too small lor... I had originally planned to have them blown up big big, or else people blind blind cannot see!

The moral of the story: You don't need to be a PHD holder to give an itnro... all you need is just "bluff" your way through.. hahaha... not really bluff la, but know how to skilfully skip whatever you don't know

juanjuan said...

huh? i thought u said A3 will do?

wahahha..... u mean our wmy is a smoker? actually its takes skills to be able to smoke sucessfully!

A.C. said...

Eh... in my email, I said blow up to fit the width of the board leh!

Not saying that wmy is a smoker la... but at least she knows how to skip the parts which she's not too familiar with

Anonymous said...

certainly the audience is a great encouragement to the artistes and the fact that large crowds remain throughout the years speaks well of your troupe

amai said...

3 big cheers for WMY!!!!!!!!
I would freak out if I were asked to intro...I can't..I simply can't...Basically...I am a shy person...I only blah alot online...(LOL)

Anonymous said...

Yes! WMY really did a wonderful job! (despite her headache)

She went around introducing and explaining to pple...very good...

Ni