Friday, April 11, 2008

Photography in School

I have not touched an analog camera for almost a decade, and today I finally got in touch with it again for photography lesson in school. Actually my class do not have photography lesson today, but as I was on medical leave two Mondays ago when the class was supposed to do analog photography, I had to be rescheduled to join another class to make up for it.



I had always like photography, and I used to carry my camera around so that I can snap pictures as and when I feel like it. Ironically, I had a phobia for analog photography. I remembered years ago, in an era where digital camera did not exist yet, I once loaded a roll of film wrongly, and none of my shots were captured, and since then I was too scared to even load films. Luckily with the invention of digital cameras, I was once again snapping pictures.


Doing analog photography was like traveling back in time, and much more. Other than doing the shooting, we have to develop the film ourselves in the dark room. It was really fun, but very tedious, as we have to unload the film from the film canister into the dump container in total darkness. On top of that there is a number of processing steps in order the pictures to be registered permanently on the film strip, which took about half an hour to complete. And that is just the developing of the film negative itself; developing of final print is another separate, but equally time-consuming step!



To be honest, although digital photography is much more convenient, I feel that analog photography is much more fun. Perhaps many of the processing steps has been simplified in the digital method, and therefore lessened the fun aspect as well. But still, I'm still very into digital photography; at least I won't need to worry about taking bad shots and thus wasting film!






No comments: