Saturday, January 01, 2005

Gloomy New Year


New Year has never been this gloomy. The recent Tsunami disaster was part of it, but another reason was what happened in my company: restructuring exercise. In an attempt to cut down costs and expenditure, the top management decided to downsize the organisation by half, retrenching many counter and management staff. It was a double blow for us, as we were already facing a shortage of manpower, and the rest of us spared of the axe would have to work even longer hours and more secondary jobs if more were to be ordered to go.

Today is the last day at work for those being axed, and many only got to know it today. It was harsh fact, but there was nothing we could do. It was hard to accept, as we were so used to seeing each other daily, no matter how new he is or how bad his attitude at work was. There was this particular guy whom I disliked a great deal as he always mess things up, but seeing him go made me feel somehow sad. We had a chat while walking out of the company, he heading back home while me going out to buy dinner. He joined the company barely two months ago, and though his performance was nothing near good, he did afterall contribute to the company. He seemed to have accepted his fate rather well. Perhaps he finds it a release from agony, I'm not sure. But I sort of envy him; he's now free from the company, whereas I am still stuck in it. What lies ahead of my career is still an unknown: with the current manpower status, it'll mean that longer working hours will be inforced, and everyone will have to cover all aspects of work, including what used to be "other people's business". On looking back, I really wonder if I'm considered lucky to be retained, or unlucky to have not been axed...

No comments: