Friday, August 19, 2005

Chinese Dinner Table Etiquette: Eat Your Food And Mind Your Own Business!

The 7th Lunar month is what Taoist Chinese call it the month of the Hungry Ghost Festival. Yesterday was the 14th night, and there was a celebration dinner function being held on the open space just below my flat in celebration of the. I do not like to attend such functions, because first of all, I find it awkward sharing the table with people who are much older than I am and had nothing in common to talk about. Secondly, I do not like the Chinese food culture in Singapore, where you are expected to eat and eat non-stop until either you’re bloated to death or the dish plate on the table is clean. However, since we had already been invited, I had to go, or else the food will be wasted (something which I don’t quite care!).

As usual, the dinner did not start till after half past eight, but we were already seated by seven thirty. “To get a good seat!” my mum explained. As if we were catching a free outdoor performance that’s free seating! So the dishes came and to the table one after another, and everyone was happily eating and listening to people singing karaoke on the stage at the centre of the function area. The food wasn’t too bad, but I did not eat much as I did not want to have a hard time sleeping, neither do I want to be perceived as a hungry ghost craving for food! However, I was irritated by people of my table asking me to eat. “Come, eat!” they’d say, although I had already shown my disinterest in eating any more. No doubt it was merely good intention, but why can’t they just leave other people alone and let them eat what they want to eat, or stop when they do not wish to eat? Actually I appreciate their intention, but I think the way they put it across sounded rude. They could have phrased it in a better manner, like “Do you want some more food?” or something, instead of just “Come, eat!” I almost wanted to retort back, but that would only put me in bad light and hence I didn’t.

Hungry Ghost Festival dinner functions used to be very enjoyable events which I loved to attend, but now I find them a drag to attend. Hopefully in future my parents will not ask me to attend any of these!

No comments: