Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Justice Has Been Done!

I heard from my ex-colleague on MSN that my ex-company, a tour agency in Golden Mile Complex, will exist no more with effect from this month as it has been bought over by another tour company. The HR manager, sales manager and managing director had all been sacked too. I was suprised initially at the news, but subsequently I was kind of happy that justice has been done, finally!

I joined that company in October last year, after failing to apply for graphic designing or similar jobs in other places. The HR manager recruited me immediately after the interview, and I thought I was very lucky, but only to realise that they were in urgent need of manpower as many of their staff members had left, or intending to cross over to other agencies. Soon more new crew came and within 3 months, I became one of the senior counter staff. It was a tiring job, as sometimes customers just came one after another, leaving me no time to catch a breath or have a proper meal. Nevertheless it was still challenging and fulfilling, and I even intended to make this my permanent job.

However, things changed soon after. Just 3 days before New Year, we were told that the company's going to retrench half of it's crew in order to cut-cost. One particular branch was hit the worst, as all it's staff were asked to go, and with effect from 1st of January! This affected everyone a lot, for those who were retrenched had no time to find a new job, and for those who managed to stay behind, it would mean heavier workload in future. But the worst was far from over. Even after the retrenchment, many people were still leaving, making the counter staff even harder to cope with their workload.

I had actually thought of leaving by then, but I decided to stay on. What would happen to the remaining crew, now all very junior, if I were to leave? Luckily another senior stood by me and we both worked very hard, trying to save the situation. But still things did not turn for the better. I was later transferred to another desserted branch, and it was there my manager and managing director accused me of stealing money, something which they were unable to proof and had to use lame reasonings to make their stand sound logical. I refused to pay the money, and even reported to the police. Till now nothing has been heard from the police nor the company. But anyway, this string of incident has made me demoralised completely and hence was pointless for me to serve for the company any further. Even the most loyal senior of mine had already left for greener pastures, so why should I press on? I finally tendered my resignation in May.

Now on thinking back, I still miss my previous job. I still miss the old crew, and the familiar sight, sound and smell of "Little Thailand". However there is no way I am going back to my old trade, for I've seen too much and heard too much about the industry. It will hence only live in my memories...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U had only joined that travel agency for such a short time (oct -may half year?) and yet you were so committed to the company.It's really a loss to the company to have let gone delicated employee like u. I have been with my current employer for 5 years, but i think i still felt 3/4 hearted at times.. haha.

A.C. said...

Well I liked the job initially. I even spent time and money to do a nice and neat sales kit because I thought I'll be able to go far. But in the end I didn't get much from the company, all thanks to empty promises! I was already demoralised by Chinese New Year period, but I thought after this trouble period things will get better. But who knows... bleah!