Saturday, November 19, 2005

I Had a Japanese Name

A few moments ago, I sent a belated birthday greetings to a polytechnic classmate of mine. We haven't been in contact for many years already, but since her birthday is just one day ahead of me, I thought I might as well send her some well wishes. No excuse for not able to remember her birthday! When signing off, I suddenly remembered one thing: I had a Japanese name! Used to have, to be exact

On my first week of lessons back in polytechnic, there was a particular lecturer who asked the entire class to tell him how we would want him to address us as. When it was my turn to speak, I just blurted out "Michiru", and since then it had become my name. What does "Michiru" mean? Frankly speaking, up till now I still have no idea! All I know was that I heard of this name once over at "Japan Hour". Nevertheless this name sounded cool to me, and not commonly used among fellow Japanese-wannabe schoolmates.

However, this name became history after I graduated from polytechnic as people started to address me by my surname or my initials (hence AyCee became my nick name, since AyCee is A.C., short for Aaron Christopher). Polytechnic days were the best period of my life, but alas it was long history. Perhaps I should revert back to "Michiru", to remind myself of the good old days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

halo... michiru! xj