Monday, November 28, 2005

Bollywood And Me

More than half the world knows that I'm into Chinese opera, and many people know that I'm interested in Thai music and movies. However, not many know that I'm into Tamil movies as well. It sounds unbelievable, to the extent that when I told my ex-colleague, who is an Indian-Chinese, he thought I was fooling him

Of all genres, why Bollywood movies? If it was Thai or Malay movies, I can still understand a sentence or two out of the entire show, but Tamil is one language which I don't even understand a single word, except for "Vannakum!" Actually I have been watching Tamil movies since I was young. Not that I watched under the influence of my parents, since they do not understand the language either. At that age, I was too young to understand what's going on in the shows on television. Hence I just watch whatever there was available, anything that was not boring to me. Tamil movies somehow was interesting to me. In fact it wasn't just Tamil movies, but Tamil cultural shows like those short dance segments that were shown in the evenings (at that time, Tamil programmes were shown for only a few hours a day on the Mandarin channel). Of course I did not know what they were singing or talking about, but I just find their language interesting. Their music was also rather fascinating, especially their percussion instruments

Bollywood movies, either you like them or you hate them. The main reasons why some people do not like them are that typical Bollywood shows are too draggy, with stereotypical plots and illogical dance and song segments in between scenes (I have seen one movie whereby one of the dance segments was shot in Singapore, although the story of the movie does not happen in Singapore). No doubt Bollywood movies are quite lengthy, but the plots are not as draggy as in the past. As for the dance and music, I think you just got to get used to them! In recent years, Bollywood film music is getting better, and the dance segments are becoming more enjoyable to watch. Just like yesterday night's "Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai" and last week's "Mujhse Dosti Karoge!" are fine examples; a far cry from those "running around coconut trees" stereotypes. These movies not only have a following in India, but also in U.K. and U.S. too

In short, I think Bollywood movies are interesting mix of drama, music and dance. At times you just have to stop thinking in logical terms before you can fully enjoy the essence of the movie!

10 comments:

amai said...

Cool, AC. Didn't know that you were into Bollywood shows. When I was young, I watched some Bollywood shows too. Similarly, I didn't understand a single word out of it. Though I am not into Bollywood movies, it would be quite fun to watch them once in a while. ^^

A.C. said...

Hee... ya, if there's any particular Saturday whereby there's no rehearsals or dance lessons, then can watch Chinese opera @ Arts Central at 2, followed by 3 hours of Bollywood movie! Heh... Oh ya, this Saturday Arts Central's going to air that "Chinese opera songs" segment again!

amai said...

That "Chinese Opera Segments" are only desserts but I am more interested in the main course instead. So what's the dish for the Arts Central this coming Saturday.

A.C. said...

It's Lv Ju "Qiang Tou Ji". Not sure if it's the old movie or the stage version though. Quite interested in this show!

Mr RM said...

Namaste AC,

Hey, since when Bollywood movies are in TAMIL? And weren't you quoting words in Hindi on your blog?

FYI, Tamil movies are from Madras or dubbed as Mollywood... hee hee

Maybe, in Singapore, all shows get dubbed. I am not surprise, if HK movies are in Mandarin, maybe Bollywood movies are in Tamil!

A.C. said...

Koon Kitjar, you understand Hindi as well? Actually I don't know if the shows on our TV station is Hindi or Tamil, but since our Indian population are Tamil-speaking in general, I assumed the shows are in Tamil also! As for the titles of the shows I mentioned, I typed them according to what the TV station published on their website. Perhaps you can verify for me?

A.C. said...

Ok I've confirmed that these movies are actually in Hindi! My bad! =P

Mr RM said...

No, I can't understand Hindi, but I can differentiate between Hindi and Tamil, for example in Tamil is Vanakam, while in Hindi is Namaste.

And also Hindi movies are better produced compared to Tamil movies from Madras or Chennai

Anonymous said...

I can understand Hindi, but not Tamil. And FYI, Hindi movies are fast evolving from running around coconut trees and items in the rain to something more substantial. Just last month, I brought in a comedy movie (with English subtitles) for my Chinese friends to watch, and let me tell you, they loved it. They laughed at the right parts, even cried at an emotional turn. And none of them understand Hindi. Hindi movies, with their song numbers, are just showing the musical side of India. If you like the percussions in Tamil movies, u should be able to appreciate a somewhat better musical exhibition through Hindi movies, isn't it?

Thank you.

A.C. said...

Hmm.. what do I have here? Someone who thinks he/ she is smart and tries to reprimand me! But I think you should go brush up on your English proficiency. If you passed youe English lessons in secondary school/ high school, I think it's not hard to see that I actually like Bollywood movies. Alright I might have got Tamil movies and Hindi movies mixed up, but hey! I do have Hindi movie VCDs at home okay! Next time, read carefully before you reply other people's posts, so as not to embaress yourself. Dhanyavaad!