Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Meeting Up With Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe (part 2)

There was no work today, but was told to go back to the office at 11 o'clock for an "opening ceremony" (a ceremony to just report to office at a auspicious timing and do a little bit of work before calling it a day). Since I had quite a bit of time before that, I thought I might as well head for the photo shop first to develop the photos I've taken over the past few days watching Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe's performance

I returned to the photo shop at 3pm to collect my photographs, and my heart sank when I saw my works. Many of the shots looked grainy, and some were so bad that I decided to take them off. I really hate my camera, as it is uncapable to taking pictures under low light conditions like a theatre performance. Either it gives you grainy pictures, or a blurred image

Putting my disappointment aside, I went next to the temple at Arumugam Road to look for the crew of Zhangzhou City Xiang Opera Troupe. One of their actors, Haibin, had actually asked me to go earlier so that he could teach me how to secure a "shuai fa" (long bunch of hair hanging from the scalp for male roles). However, when I reached the venue, it was all quiet. I found out from one of their admin crew that it was their rest time. I decided not to disturb his rest, and I sat at a corner and wait. Soon, some of the actors started streaming into the dressing room to prepare for their "ban xian" show which was scheduled at 5pm. As usual, Yuxiang was the among the first to start her makeup. Director Wu came in shortly after and I let him have a look at my photographs. Soon, everyone was flipping my photo album. They liked the photographs I had taken, and it somehow made me feel better. Xiaoyi, who had a mp3 player, even deleted some of the songs in it so that she could store the digital pictures I had taken of her

I went to look for Chen Bin in his room but he wasn't there. Instead I saw Ng Lim, an ex-actor with our troupe, as well as Weixiong, the scenographer. Weixiong was labelled as "first grade scenographer" by Amai and Mulan, as he single-handedly take charged of all the props and scenography works in the troupe. He told me it is a very tiring job, and if he has the chance to take a breathe, he's rather catch some sleep as well. And he doesn't just take charge of the scenography. He had to act minor roles on stage as well, and also to double-up as photographer at times. He had to do promotional and archival works too. He admitted it was tough, but he had to press on for the sake of his family and infant child.

As the time slowly approached 5pm, I decided to head for the stage to take pictures for their "ban xian" show (ceremonial show whereby the actors dressed up as various deities to give blessings). However, the show did not start until 5.30pm, as some of the crew thought it was to be held at 5.30pm. The ceremony ended at around 6pm and everyone proceed to the dining hall for their dinner. I did not want to dine with them, but the crew insisted that I eat with them and hence I obliged. I saw Haibin still working on something at the dressing table and hence I went over to take a look. He was mixing his makeup base. I was suprised by what he was doing, and asked him why couldn't he just buy a ready-made base instead. To which he replied that those ready-made ones do not have shades that matches his skin tone, and hence he prefers to do it himself. "Soemtimes for the passion of the arts, one really have to forgo his meals!", he said. Xiaoyun, who was just standing nearby, quipped that Haibin could just have the makeup base for dinner instead

At the dining hall, I saw Yaling with her makeup totally removed. I was suprised as she was supposed to be the lead for the night's show. I asked her about her makeup, and she replied that all the perspiration will ruin her makeup, and hence she'd rather remove them for now and then draw again after dinner. I'm impressed by that, as there's no way we amateurs can do that for time reasons. Throughout the dinner, everyone on my table (Xiuzhen, Yaling, Jianghai, Xiaoyun, Xiaoyi and Yiling) were speaking in Zhangzhou dialect, and I couldn't really understand fully due to their strong accent. Somehow I heard something like placing bets on 4D numbers. I didn't know they like to play such games too! Xiaoyun, who wasn't outstanding on stage, is a bubbly girl offstage. During the meal, she kept exclaiming that Singaporeans must be deities and consuming exlirs for food as Singaporeans don't seem to age easily and that they have such small appetite (refering to me, Amai and Mulan

After the meal, I went back to the dressing room to wait for Haibi, but he was nowhere to be seen. Hence I just sat aside observing how the actors dress up for their show. The dans were rather neat, as compared to those in Xiamen troupe. Although the wigs they used were of inferior quality, they looked alright on stage as they know how to comb and style them. Xiamen troupe's dans looked more messy as many of their actors simply mixed their real hair with clip-on ponytails and ready-made buns, and sometimes it can be real ugly. Some actors do not even use add-on ponytails even though they do not have long hair

I waiting for a long time before I saw Haibin strolling in. Obviously he had forgotten the agreement he made yesterday, but as it was close to the start of the show, I decided to come back another day to look for him. So today was sort of a wasted day as I did not achieve what I wanted to do, but at least I've managed to understand the people there more!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. so gd.. no need to work yday.... R u all atching shw 2d? Oh ya, i like the way yx acted the lady emperor yday! Hope 2d is a gd shw as well.. Any idea of the cast today? xj

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Yap, put up more photos leh.. today is the 6th /7th of their show already but ur pic is still on 2nd day! Btw, they didnt burst my costumes, but i noticed that my netted veil skirt of my white red costume was gone when it was worn.. i hope they machine back properly for me oh..... xj

amai said...

Hiya, Yuxiang was the best in last nite's show. She acted much much better than the previous actress in the show broadcasted by Arts Central. It was an old show recorded many years back. Their makeup weren't that good as now. Remember I told you before that I actually "excuted" the show halfway as I found it quite boring. But last nite "Princess Shouyang" was rather nice and the music especially was great!!!
Yuxiang really acted well and the way that she acted when she became insane was very exciting. Mulan is stingy in giving good comments and she praised Yuxiang for acting well. Yuxiang is a character actress and she always does villian roles as Dir. Wu said that she has a fierce banxiang...hahahahahahahahaha.
I am not going tonight as I am loaded with work...(Sob...sob...)
I shall go and watch tomorrow. ooops....Have u received our troupe's latest schedule....?
I am so afraid of rehearsals now... I don't know y...I definitely not looking forward for them as I expect myself to suffer more.....(sob...sob)

A.C. said...

I told you before Princess Shouyang is not a bad show, now you see it? Hee... Yuxiang always do baddie roles? But for the past few days her roles were all pitiful ones!

Anonymous said...

2d yx is going to do 38 princess.. hahah, hope ok... xj

amai said...

Again Yuxiang stole the limelite frm the lead actress. She is really quite a character actress. The way she does her hair arrangement is very good. At least gained some ideas from her for my princess role. Talking abt my princess, it gives me nitemare. I saw them but rarely stay long enough to talk. I guess I am yet to recover from my nasty shock.
I told xj before that it really depends alot on how to use the hairpcs to brighten yourself up. Just put a few, is already very pretty and pleasant. At least you r able to c its nice effects.
OMG, I heard that fella whom I dislike very much is going to pay the teachers a visit tomolo. What if I meet her in the room, I don't think I can be tolerant enough. I shall keep my way out of her. I just can't forget how she treated me so badly 6 years ago. It is just too painful and already 6 years, I am not able to persuade myself to forgive her for her misdeeds.

Anonymous said...

Yday de lead is yu xiang
princess mah. Miss yang de role not much actually... XZ also commented that YX acted well yday!

Yes, yx de arranagement not bad, she put my centre red stocking infront which is nicer Tat time u put it behind i thk.. But hahah, i hope yx wont get "scolding" for keep changing hairpc.. cos i noticed that the rest of the gals including the lead usually use 1 set of hairpc thru out. even my ax friend was surprised that yx changed 3-4 hairpcs set yday... Too bad i hardly see the other gals using... so far yx used most. Even Miss yang also used it in 1-2 times only. May be rhe other gals mistaken that we only lend the two female leads ba....

A.C. said...

Wear stockings on the head? For what? To rob the bank? Hee...

Anonymous said...

Ya... to rob the bank.. Shhh, dont tell anyone hor!!

hey, anymore pic? i want see leh...

Hw is ur "shuai fa" learning that day?

xj

A.C. said...

Haibin finally taught me how to do it! And guess what, he invented that method himself. He said since the day he started using that method, his "shuai fa" never came off on stage. And it doesn't seemed very tight also. I'm excited and wanted to try it at home, but I realised that my "wang jin" is in kh!

amai said...

teach us yozz...Till now I never use shuai fa yet....so i dont know how to do it....(sob)