Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sorrows Of A Cyclist

This morning I cycle to work as usual. As I was approaching the end of the kerb, I decided to switch over to the main road. Before I move out, I looked back to check for on-coming vehicles, and the road was clear then. However, the moment I inched out onto the main road, a car zoomed past me so fast and close that I could almost feel the sides of his car brushing against my legs. I can swear that if I had moved out for another 5cm, I won't be here blogging already!

Being a cyclist in Singapore is a pathetic thing, as they are not welcomed anywhere. If they cycle on the pavement, the pedestrians will curse them, and they cycle on the road, many vehicles (especially big ones like buses and lorries) choose to not see them and push them to the edge of the road. I am not exaggerating, but speaking from my own experiences.

There was once I was cycling on the pavement back home. In front of me were 3 women walking with their back facing me. The pavement was already quite narrow and yet they were still walking abreast! I rang my bell from afar so that they would have ample time to react. However, they did not hear it. I kept ringing and ringing, till I was just inches behind them, but they were still walking in a single row and chatting away. I decided to cycle off the pavement and onto the grass patch. The sound of my bicycle wheel somehow caught their attention, and one of the ladies exclaimed "Xia Si Ren!" ("You frightened me!"). I was very pissed off, as it's their fault to treat the pavement as their "Grandfather's Road" instead of looking out for other road users! However, I couldn't be bothered with them, because I know inconsiderate and selfish people are the worst people to reason with.

On another occasion, I was cycling along Victoria Street, trying to keep as close to the kerb as possible. I, being a driver too, knew how frustrating it is if a cyclist in front of me keeps zig-zaging into my vehicle's path. However, though I was considerate to other road commuters, other road commuters were hostile to me. Buses just overtook me and pulled into the bus stop just inches ahead of me, lorries making left turns at traffic junctions although I was already starting to cross the road, cars trying to squeeze me into the side drains of the road. There are just too many horrible experiences to say!

Singapore is really a very unsafe place for cyclist and there are always reports of cyclists losing their lives on local roads. I myself am worried of my own safety too, but there's nothing much I can do. I don't expect the government to build cycling paths all over Singapore, but I do hope that the relevant authorities will do something to bring awareness about the situation of us cyclists to the public. If everyone can spare a little more thought for others, wouldn't the world be a nicer place to be in?

6 comments:

Miko said...

In Beijing, there are cycling paths on most of the main roads~ They have too many cyclists so it is still beneficial to spend some money on the paths

A.C. said...

That's why I said I don't hope for a cyclist path in Singapore. Just more consideration from those owners of bigger vehicles that's all!

Kongming said...

try changing ur bell to a horn. may work...
ya those used by newspaper buyers...

Anonymous said...

hey.. there are a lot of inconsiderate driver in singapore. U pls be more careful when on road, can? xj

Anonymous said...

I think I better tie those Chinese opera gongs to my bicycle. I can "chiang chiang chiang" and there'll be no excuse of them not being able to hear. Hee...

Kongming said...

good idea...

if u can put a drum also... then can go "dong dong chiang, dong dong dong dong dong chiang"

confirm all siam 1...