Saturday, March 31, 2007

After Performance Sightings

Today, I had a performance at Marsiling Community Club, "The Teacher, The Thief". But no, this post is not an after-performance account. What I'm about to write is something which I saw on my way back.

You see, as our show started early, and "The Teacher, The Thief" being a very short show, we finished rather early, at around 10pm. Having no mood to go back straight, I decided to take a detour. The idea of going to Kranji Way (the road that leads to Sungei Buloh nature reserve) came to my mind, as it has been ages since I last went there (but it was day time), and I liked the area there, especially that Kranji dam, with Kranji reservoir on one side of the road and the Straits of Johor on the other. Therefore, from BKE, I made an exit at the Woodlands south flyover, and head towards Kranji Way.

My memories of that area wasn't exactly very clear, but I remembered that if you travel all the way till the end of the road, you'd end up somewhere in Boon Lay or Choa Chu Kang. However, what I didn't remember was that this road was very, very long! Actually, it's not Kranji Way that is long. It's just that Kranji Way is linked to Neo Tiew Road, which is a long and windy single-lane road with nothing but tall bushes on both sides. Well, I wasn't particularly scared of travelling on this road, even though it's eeriely quiet and deserted. However, when I came to the end of Neo Tiew Road and turned into Lim Chu Kang road, I realised that I have came to the Choa Chu Kang cemetery area, and it was there I saw something which really made my hair stand.

As I passed by the Chinese cemetery area, I saw some cars parking by the side of the road, and I could see that in the pitch dark burial grounds, there were lights, coming from burning candles. Initially I thought it could be people doing tomb sweeping, but I realised that it wasn't just inside the cemetery, but at the entrance to the cemetery and outside as well. There were also people praying. I suddenly remembered that I once read of people who tried to ask for lucky numbers from the spiritual beings by making offerings to them in the cemeteries at night. I wondered if these people are just doing that? Although I wasn't particularly afraid of the supernatural stuffs (I believe they won't harm me, since I never like to disturb their peace), but I just felt chilling air flowing down my spine. I decided to ignore them and get out of the area as soon as I could...

No comments: