Friday, March 02, 2007

Another Dissatisfory China-produced DVD!

Recently I was told by Amai that I could get original Taiwanese drama DVDs off the Yahoo Auction at a much lower price. I was abit skeptical in the first place, but decided to try my luck.

I saw a show I had always wanted to get, "KO One", starring Jiro, Calvin and Aaron from Fahrenheit. There was one problem: the DVD sets listed were either self-burnt, or doesn't look like Taiwan-released versions. If you have read my previous posts, I had mentioned before that I had no confidence in China-produced DVDs, due to their inferior quality in general. When I saw the image of the DVD cover from the auctioner, I was hesitant, because the words on the DVD cover, other than the title, were in simplified Chinese. For those who had no idea what's the difference between simplified and traditional Chinese character system, the former is used in Singapore, Malaysia (Malaysia actually uses a mix of simplied and traditional systems on different occasions) and China, whereas Chinese from elsewhere (including Hong Kong and Taiwan) uses traditional Chinese. Therefore, the words on the cover gave me the impression this DVD set is not produced in Taiwan. However, I still dropped the auctioner a message, asking her where the DVD set was produced, of which she replied "Taiwan". I decided to gave her the trust, because her ratings in the auction doesn't seemed to be too bad. I was wrong.

When I got the DVD set by post, I scanned through the entire packaging carefully, and failed to find any company name listed (although there's a copyright notice at the back). I started to get worried, as no authentic commercially produced material would not carry the name of the production company. The contents of the DVD package was a dismay too; the discs were all packed inside CD pockets, something which I do not like because one might scratch or dirty the discs if you are not careful in taking out or putting them back. As for the video content, disc one to six are alright; the video quality is clear, but not so sharp as my original Taiwan-released "ISWAK" or Singapore-released "Hana Kimi". For disc seven onwards, it was a totally different story; the episodes recorded in these discs were obviously recorded off TV, as GTV's (the TV network which produced and airred the show) logo was embedded into the video, and there was annoying scrolling text commercial on the lefthand edge of the video at times. Worst of all, the video quality wasn't sharp, as if watching a poorly produced VCD, and the audio was slightly muffled too.

It was a total waste of money buying it, and hence you see, I have my reasons for not having confidence in China-released DVDs, except for some Chinese opera ones. So from now on, no thanks to China-released DVDs!

On a side note, I got my DVD set on Tuesday night, and had actually finished all 20 episodes by this morning. Crazy right?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its not crazy - its madd!!!!!!!!xj