Friday, March 23, 2007

Thai Pop Duo: Lift & Oil

Well, I don't quite know how to introduce this Thai duo named Lift-Oil. To say that they're a boyband, they're passed the "legitimate age" already, but to say they're a pop-band, they don't even play any music instruments.

Lift-Oil's album "Der-Taa-2"


Anyway, Lift-Oil is one of the first few Thai artistes I listened to (the first being China Dolls, then Bird Thongchai followed by them). I originally knew of this duo (Lift and Oil, hence their group name is "Lift-Oil") from movies, and not from their songs. Back then, one of the leading VCD chains in Singapore was carrying some Thai movie VCDs, and hence I bought a few. Coincidentally, three of the shows featured them; "Jenny" featured Lift as the male lead and Oil as cameo, "18-80" featured Oil only and "A Miracle of Oam+Somwung" featured both guys as leads. After watching their shows, the usual curiousity in me made me did some search on their backgrounds, and realised that they are actually model-turned-actor-singers. And it's my curiousity again that made me buy their albums, and I think they are not too bad as a pop duo. Unfortunately, that album I bought was like their last album release with their previous company RS Promotion. They did not renew their contract with them, and since then they have been concentrating on their television drama career. (I don't buy Thai television drama serials because they don't come with subtitles and I won't be able to understand)

3 movies featuring Lift, Oil, or both


However, months ago, I happened to find some new MV clips from this duo again, and that made me very happy. This time round, instead of singing the usual bubblegum pop or dance pop, they're now singing north-eastern Thai/ Laos folk song! I then realised that these new sets of MV clips were actually soundtracks of their latest "lakorn" (drama serial) named ""Kan Lum Kong"", based on north-eastern Thai settings. That made me very curious and wanted to get hold of the show, but then again, if there's no subtitles, I'd have to seriously reconsider my option!



"Thai Lum Dum Pun" from lakorn "Kan Lum Kong" by Lift and Oil


"Kan Lum Kong" from lakorn "Kan Lum Kong" by Oil


"Ror Ruk" (Waiting for Love) from lakorn "Kan Lum Kong" by Lift


"Ror Ruk" (Waiting for Love) from lakorn "Kan Lum Kong" by Oil


"Yang Ni Tong Ruk Loei" from "Der-Taa-2" album by Lift and Oil


"Niew Goi" from one of their very early albums by Lift


"Suan Tahng" from one of their very early albums by Oil

No comments: