Friday, March 23, 2007

Of Potato and Thailand

A colleague of mine just returned from her holidays in Bangkok, and has gotten me the latest karaoke VCD for Potato. I'm grateful for her effort, because according to her, she was almost like "a chicken talking to a duck" when trying to find out where she could get the Thai CDs. And guess, what, she got the VCD from a 7-11 shop! This is interesting, for although I know our local 7-11 shops sometimes do sell exclusive compilation CDs, I'm didn't know 7-11 shops elsewhere do sell mainstream pop CDs too.

Potato's latest karaoke VCD "Sense"

Anyway, still on the topic of Potato, a friend of mine just told me yesterday that he would be leaving for Bangkok today, to catch Potato's concert tomorrow! I'm so envious and jealous! He had just visited Krabi in January and now he's going Bangkok again, whereas for me, I have been thinking of when would my next trip to Thailand since 3 years ago, but till now it's still not materialised yet. To make matter worse, for the past 1 year, many people around me had already gone to Bangkok, or some other parts of Thailand, and back, and all I could do is slog away in "Little Thailand" of Singapore!

Look at the top third picture and it's captions; Fahrenheit's VDO is available for download even in Thailand! Thailand pop culture is unique in the sense that for their pop charts, they consist of all kinds of songs, from Thai to Mandarin to English, instead of classifying songs of different langauges into different charts

But, I might have a chance to soon, as Songkran Festival (Thai New Year) is just around the corner, and my Thai friend's birthday falls just during the festive season. He had recently invited me to go over to the place he lives now, Koh Samui, during the period, and according to what I have checked, the budget airline tickets are not expensive. He said also that he would settle the lodging for me, and that means all I have to pay is just for the airfares, as well as my own expenditures there. However, there is a small problem: I only have 2 days of annual leave for this year. Which means, I'll have to use up all of them, plus take a day or two of unpaid leave, if I really want to go. That's a tough decision to make!



An MV from "Sense" - "คนกลาง" (Kon Glaang - Middleman)

No comments: