Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Singapore Idiot

I was walking across the overhead bridge to take a bus to work and as I almost reached the other side of the bridge, I realised that I had forgot to take my wallet and hence had to turn back to head for home. On my way down the bridge, I saw this middle-aged man with a walking stick taking small steps down the flight of steps. Poor thing, I thought. I saw him walking towards my direction when I walked up the steps, and now that I've made an u-turn, he was still there. I wish I could help, but I couldn't since it was his weak legs which prevented him from walking faster. This made me remind of an incident which happened during the Chinese New Year period at Chinatown.

My parents and I were shopping at Chinatown and after sometimes, we decided to cross over to People's Park market. Hence we went up the sky garden and proceed to the stairs at People's Park Complex. For people who have been there, the stairs down the People's Park Complex isn't very wide, at most it can only accomodate two person walking side by side. At that moment there was this old lady with weak legs walking slowly down that flight of stairs. Behind was was a young couple walking hand in hand, side by side. There was a huge jam behind and they were oblivious to it. I think they must be siamese twins stuck together at their palms and maybe waists, or that tearing their hands apart will cause them excessive bleeding from all parts of their body and would make them die within seconds. Even if they can't bear to break up their clutches, I don't think it takes great intelligence to just bypass the old lady by not walking line-abreast for a few seconds? I was so fed up that I wish I could just scream at the couple, but since I was with my parents, I decided to restrain myself. Surprisingly, no one behind me made any noise either!

To that couple who might be reading this (I hope they did!), congratulations! You've been awarded the title of Singapore Idiot! I hope you two go and make a big name tag out of it and wear it wherever whenever, so that everybody will know how stupid you two are! Shame on you!

No comments: