Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Studio Recording at MediaCorps

Yesterday night I and my team mates from Chinese opera were at MediaCorps doing recording for one of the segments for the new season of "Top Fun" variety show. We were told to assemble at 6.30pm, but we reached there at around 5.30pm so that we could be better prepared. However we were later informed that the actual recording was at 8pm, leaving us with nothing but agony. Last year, I was in the audience during one of "Zong Yi Da Ge Da"'s studio recording sessions in Taipei, and there were so many NGs and retakes that it was no longer fun to be audience. We were at the TV station at 4pm, but could only enter the studio at 6pm, and by the time the recording for this 1-hour variety show was over, it was way past 10pm. This time round, it was much better as the recording took only 2 hours to complete. In this segment where contestants showed off their skills at impersonating pop stars, they had to also do an impromptu act of Chinese opera performance. Lifeng was the "model performer" and she was to sing and act a short selection of song backed up a 4 man orchestra, in which I was the main percussionist, and the contestants were supposed to sing together with the music after a few short rehearsals. Throughout our stay at the studio, nobody came to interact with us, but I guess it was normal for we are considered a bunch of "niche" people whom other people can't associate with easily. However, as we were about to leave, one of the celebrity guests, Celest Chong, came up to Lifeng and talked to her. Although I couldn't hear what they talked about due to my distance from them, but I heard something about being interested in Chinese opera and wanted to learn. That was something memorable, thoughshe's not the first celebrity actress I've came across that's so friendly and humble, but she actually initiated the conversation. I did not think too much of Celest in the past, but I think she changed my opinion about her now...

No comments: