Sunday, February 04, 2007

World of Coincidence! Shanghai Yueju Opera and Singapore Xiangju Opera's "Romance Of The Carp Fairy"

This world is full of coincidence; our opera troupe is in the midst of rehearsing "Romance of the Carp Fairy", and I had news that Shanghai Yue Opera Company will be staging the same show (their version was the foundation of ours) on 26 - 28 Feb at Shanghai Yifu Stage!

This version of "Romance of the Carp Fairy", a revised edition, will be performed by Shanghai Yue Opera Company's "golden couple" Wang Zhiping and Zheng Guofeng. Wang Zhiping is my favourite Yueju opera actress, and it was this same show which made me like her alot. She acted well in the title role of the Carp Fairy; not only did she had to act and sing, but also do fighting sequences towards the end of the show. Zheng Guofeng is a good Xu-style actress as well, and although I do like her too, she's still second place to Qian Huili (also a Xu-style actress) in my heart.

Anyway, talking about these two actresses, they may be stars now, but they're still very passionate about their work. They're always the first to arrive at the rehearsal venue, and Wang Zhiping even start each day with 20 rounds of "yuanchang" (walking in operatic steps around the rehearsal grounds), even though she had injured her back while learning some stunts recently. I don't even do 2 rounds of "yuanchang" at my opera troupe! Not just that, the duo are quite particular in their rehearsals, and they can rehearse one song over and over again just to perfect their gestures and movements, as you can see from the clip here:



I really feel like flying over to catch them in action at Yifu stage, but alas, I do not have the time and money to do so. Hopefully the show will be available in VCD, so that I can still watch it off-stage with less regrets! More information of the show is available at my other blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they have good professional attitude. Hahaha....so they inspire you to walk 2 more rounds of yuanchang......

A.C. said...

Duh... I don't have the time to do that... I had too little time to even go for rehearsals.. perhaps I'll do my own practices at my own time at home..

xj: you're acting the fishie role too, so you should start with 20 rounds of yuanchang every weekend too.. hee...

Anonymous said...

haha.. ok, i try la

last time when i 1st joined kh, i do 5 rounds whenever i go kh. now... 5 steps also dont hv.. damnn lazy now a days:p

xj

A.C. said...

Same here... but I still practice my movements in my free time at home lor.. think I should follow their example!