Friday, July 27, 2007

Back To The Books

It’s finally confirmed; I’ll be leaving my current position at work with effect from 19 August to take up a degree course in Visual Communications in Lasalle. It has been a very tough decision for me to make, as this degree course is a full-time one, which means I’ll have to find a part-time job to support myself through my four years in Lasalle, something which I’m not sure if I can really survive through or not. However, as this is my only chance for me to get into the field that I’m really interested in, I’ve decided to just give it a shot.

Hello, Lasalle!

Therefore, I went to apply for it late last month, and was subsequently called up for an interview which required me to prepare a portfolio of at least 10 artworks beforehand. And because of this portfolio I had been busy doing drawings and designing works like the “Mona Lisa Goes China” sketching which I had talked about previously. The interview was a success and I was given the confirmation the very same afternoon (originally I was told the confirmation would take about a week).


My precious zipped portfolio with leather casing;
not just precious because it is my gateway to a better future, but it cost me quite a bit of money as well!

After receiving the confirmation, I submitted my resignation the following day. My resignation created quite a bit of hoo-ha in the office as my other colleagues were discussing over it, to the extent that my colleague from another branch knew about it even though the news wasn’t broken to her. Some of them even bombarded me with questions like why I wanted to leave, and whether or not my resignation was due to work-related problems. I didn’t want to say much; even my GM didn’t asked me much questions when she interviewed me, and I see no reasons to entertain such questions, for I know this will be a never-ending Q&A session, and might even blown out into a mini-press conference.

Now that everything has been settled, my next concern was of course to find part-time jobs to sustain my income. Of course, that would have to come after I get my timetable for my lessons, but one thing for sure is that I’ll be leading a more hectic life from now on. However, it still beats taking on a permanent afternoon shift, which meant completely no life for me (no catching of performances, no opera rehearsals, no outing with friends)!

Those who had seen my "Very Tai-Tai 2007" series of post might recall a photograph of a Wat in Nakhon Nayok. I know my painting skills sucks, but hey! This is by far the best I can do, and some parts of the painting was actually imaginated as in the original photograph, there was a built-up tent in front of the temple square, obscuring part of the view of the temple.


A logo which I had come up with for my opera troupe, which was not used in the end (fellow opera troupe friends should know why)


This looks like a typical print ad for a coach travel company...


... But it's not! It's actually a parody suggesting that customers should expect less superior service onboard if they are not willing to pay more, a scenario which has been happening over and over again in recent months.


Bored ratings: *****; what else can I say?!


I'm not sure if anyone can notice that I actually used various traditional elements in this artwork; Indian-styled Buddha image, lotus image from a traditional Chinese kite, cloud pattern from a Thai print art and maple leaves from a traditional Japanese painting.


My friend Ryann, edited to show his jovial, loud (slightly) and showy nature


This artwork is the one I've chosen to showcase in my portfolio presentation; it may not be the best among the rest, but at least this is something I really have had a concept, and the only piece I can really talk about.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. a big decision. Jia you hor!

My boss kept asking me why i dot take up some papers/upgrades.. but i thk i am simply too lazy.
xj

amai said...

Congrats! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Really great to hear that you are going to obtain the 'key' to your interest. Not that without this 'key' you can't enjoy your interest. But to put your interest as your work is not what many can achieve.

Really envy and feel proud for people who can study ART. You are going to enjoy it! Jia you! Make the best out of it!

Cheers, Yun

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you in your new degree course!!!