Sunday, January 21, 2007

Curse Of The Ring

There's a particular ringtone that has taken the China handphone market by storm due to it's cute and funny lyrics. However, this ringtone has also proven to be an "unlucky" one. Here is the link to this ringtone.

For those who doesn't quite understand Mandarin, here is the translation to the lyrics:
"Who's looking for me? Let me take a look at who it is that's looking for me.
Why is it you? How come it is you who is looking for me?!
I'm not answering, I'm not answering, I'm not answering your call!
I'll answer all other people's call, except yours.
Even if you die of frustration I'll still ignore your call!"


One of the "victims" of this ringtone is a female executive who is in charged to laising with clients of her company. There was an ocassion whereby she was supposed to call an important client, but due to the bad reception in her area, her call was disconnected after a while. Her clients tried calling back, but he kept hearing "I'm not answering, I'm not answering...". In the end, the frustrated client decided to terminate their business contract, and the innocent female executive was fired by the company.

Another victim was a student who was applying for a position in a university. This student waited for a long time for the news of his application but to no avail, and when he called up the department in charged of the processing the applications, he got the shock of his life. "Why bother to call and check? Didn't you say 'even if I die of frustration you'll still ignore my call'?" the person-in-charge of contacting the applicants told him. It turned out that the university this student had applied for for was full, and the person-in-charge had wanted to call him to ask if he wanted to try another university. However, when he heard the ringtone, he got fed up and decided to dump his application aside.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read these news over the internet. To think that such cute and harmless ringtones can actually create such misfortunes! So I think from now on, it's best that one stick to "normal" and conventional ringtones, and not something too innovative or special. You won't know who will take your ringtone too seriously and results in any drastic consequences!

No comments: