Saturday, August 04, 2007

Baybeats 2007

I just returned from Baybeats 2007, a three-day indie music festival which is held at the Esplanade. I know what some of you are thinking; you must be thinking whether or not I'm kidding by attending this kind of concert because it just doesn't seemed to be me. Now who says a person who is interested in Chinese opera do not know how to appreciate rock music?! But to be honest, this is my first time attending such concerts, although I do enjoy listening to some rock artistes, just that I don't follow up on the songs for most.

I arrived at the Esplanade rather early and the outdoor performances, which was held at both the Nokia Power House (Stage @ Powerhouse) and Nokia Arena (Stage @ Esplanade Park), had yet to commence. I took a stroll nearby and came back at around 6pm. The Sally's was the first band to perform. This band is a young local band formed in 2004 playing ska, indie and disco. I must have been a suaku, but this is the first time I've seen trumpet and trombone being used in a rock band. However, I have to say they do create a unique sound, and I think this is what makes this band special. The band performed a number of songs before a break was introduced.

The second act of this concert, which was scheduled to be performed by Intone from Australia was to commence at 7.15pm. There was still quite a bit of time left, so I left for a quick dinner before returning to the stage to catch them in performance. This rock band, which had been creating original rock music since 2001, really rocks, and I can see they have got a great following among the audience. The lead singer, Chris Harris, is really cool and he really know how to keep the temperature high.

The last act which I stayed for (NOT the last for the night, by the way), which followed after Intone, was presented by another local band called March Twelve. Their music was nice, but somehow I felt that was a lack of interaction between the lead singer and the audience, and I thought that is a pity; the bass guitarist was more showy than her, and I actually took more pictures of him rather than the lead singer (she has got a charming smile though).

After watching March Twelve's performance, I did not head straight home. Instead, I went up to The Village to buy some Baybeats merchandise, including Intone's EP and the event's t-shirt. After which, I went to this stationary bus beside the stage to wait for the autography session for Intone to start. The band came up the bus at around 9.30pm to start their autography session. The band members were really nice and friendly, and it's a pity I did not have much chance to talk to them (I didn't want to hog the queue). However, before I left the bus, I managed to take a photograph of them. Although I wished I was in the picture too, but it beats having taken none at all (I'm a pro Briton and Australians, by the way)!

Baybeats is indeed a very fun and eye-opening (ear-opening as well) event, and though I had missed it for the past 5 years, I'm glad I didn't miss it again this year. See you again next year, Baybeats!


The bass, trombone and trumpet players of The Sally's

The sun might be still hanging in the sky, but the audience were already high enough to "fly"!

Intone rocks!

Members of Intone packing up their stuffs after their performance; don't they have helpers?

Members of March Twelve taking pictures of the audience; now who's the star?!

"Stylo-mylo" bass guitarist of March Twelve

Lead singer of March Twelve

Bass guitarist and lead singer together

I just have to give credit to these security officers for keeping a vigilant eye over the audience for possible problems and troubles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gd that u stil have a vast interest! i think i lost some of my "normal - people" interest learning opera. now very out-dated and ah soh-ish.xj

A.C. said...

This is actually my first time at such an event, and I think it's a good experience. My lasalle tutor told me that when you're in design you don't just read books on design, and should read all sorts of books for you never know what kind of inspiration and experience you might get out of it, and I believe so too. Therefore, I've decided not to focus entirely on Chinese opera, and should open myself to more stuffs of different nature. Who knows what lessons I can learn by watching them, and apply them in my studies and Chinese opera?

Anonymous said...

agree whole-heartedly!xj