Sunday, August 12, 2007

Burmese Craze

These few days, there was some sort of a "Burmese Craze" blowing through our branch office, and some of the staff members there, including my ex-supervisor, were learning some simple phrases of the Burmese language. Why so? Because our branch office would be expecting a new Burmese-Chinese colleague soon.

I haven't caught up with the craze, but starting learning anyway. Not because I want to join in the fun, but I'm starting to go "regional", instead of just sticking to learning Thai. The only thing is, this is not my first time trying to step out of my Thai-learning boundaries. In fact, previously I had tried learning Tamil, Khmer, Burmese, Vietnamese, Hindi and Spanish, but results hadn't been rather successful. Take for example Tamil, up till now all I can say is "Epadi Irukienga", which means "How are you". Other than that, I can only see and produce stars. Same goes for Khmer as well, and for Vietnamese, all I know is how to call my parents with it! The only language with a bit more results is perhaps Spanish, but just slightly more only.

Well, I shall see how far I can go this time round with my Burmese learning. Hopefully it'll be better than last time, as I've heard that Burmese is actually not quite difficult (it depends on individual, anyway), but my main interest will be still in Thai. Oh yes, I've been making slightly more progress in Thai lately, and perhaps that marks the end of my bottleneck situation with the language!

No comments: