Sunday, October 07, 2007

My Unlikely Idol: Jason Donovan

I have another idol whom I rarely (well, almost never) talked about before to anyone, and he is Aussie-singer Jason Donovan. He's a bit of an "unlikely idol" for me for two reasons: first, his relatively short-spanned pop career was between the late 80s and early 90s, a period where I wasn't at all interested in English pop music; second, by the time I really got interested in his music (mid/ late 90s), the "retro" era was way long over!

How I started to know of his existence was by chance. In the mid/ late 90s, I started to like musicals, and on one occasion, I bought a Laserdisc album which contained one track by him (you might have guessed it; it's "Any Dream Will Do" from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"). Well, to be honest, his singing may not be as good as the other big names in the West End scene, but I thought that song was rather nice, and that made me took notice of him anyway. Subsequently I bought some of his old albums (by then he no longer release any new albums, and his old albums were already hard to get) too.



Jason is residing in UK currently, I supposed (on a side note: I am pro-British and pro-Aussie, if you guys remember!), and t was reported that he's intending to come back as a folk rock singer. I certainly hope to hear from him again real soon, although I know very well his musical style will be very much different from what he did in the past.

No comments: