Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Dress-up

Today is Halloween, and believe it or not, this is the first time I dress up to the occasion. Previously I have only heard or seen in magazines of people dressing up in different characters for this festival, but as I'm not so much of a party animal, I have no reason to do so. This year, however, I decided to do it for the first time, after fellow classmates decided to dress up to school.
My makeup for today; this is actually my usual Chinese opera makeup, with the absence of red blusher for the cheeks, and the trading of red eyeshadow and lipstick with their black equivalent.

Actually my decision to dress up was rather last minute, although I had already started thinking what to wear since last week. Years back while I was in polytechnic during the National Day period, the school management encouraged us to turn up in costumes belonging to us ethnic race. Like my current classmates, my classmates then were very excited over it and started talking about it. I even specially went to buy a traditional Chinese top for that event, but it turned out that I was the only one to dress up, and hence I didn't want this ordeal to repeat again this time round. It was only yesterday when some of my classmates confirmed with me that they'd be dressing up that I finally decided to follow suit.
This style of mine, is actually modelled after a Pili Puppetery character named Su Huanzhen (素还真), but due to unavailability of a white wig, I decided to make do with my personal black wig, and changed my makeup slightly to make it resemble less of the original. If you think this costume looked familiar, it's actually what Amai wore for her Carp General in "Romance of the Dragon Princess", but the inner garment is actually my own zipped-up turtleneck top.

I guess if there's ever an OTT (over-the-top) award for Halloween Lasalle 2007, I can easily clinch it, for I believe I'm the only male in school to be completely dressed up with wig, makeup, costume and boots. Just imagine this: the moment I step into our workshop area, I immediately got the attention of almost everyone (some positive, some negative), and there're even people giving applause. Well, though I'm used to such attention (since I'm a performer), I don't know how to react to them, and just walked on as if nothing happened. Anyway, throughout the day, I've had people coming up to me to ask to take picture with me; I have never been that "popular" before!
An unknown fellow coursemate posing with me (if you're reading this, sorry; I don't know your name!). Who's that black blurry figure behind us? She's actually proud; she wanted to take a picture with me too, but not knowing who I am until I hinted her a bit in Thai!

Now I'm sitting comfortably in my room with my makeup and costume totally off. It's a relieve for me at last, but I'm suffering from a bit of headache and dryness of the lips. Actually I always feel like this after every performance, and I don't know why. Anyway, there's supposed to be a Halloween party tonight as well, but as I wasn't informed until only this afternoon. I didn't have time to prepare for it, and therefore I decided to just skip it.
My classmate Kel Win posing with my wig after I removed them. He was actually dressed up to, but without makeup that is.

Halloween 2007 has come to an end, and I'm looking forward to the one next year. I can't confirm if I'll still dress up or not, I think I'll have to come up with something new and different from this year's. Time to start planning!

PS: I love walking out of campus without my costume and makeup and wig; nobody seemed to recognise me at all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool...

Ni

amai said...

Awesome!!! This is so interesting...

Anonymous said...

yes, interesting!u borrow the carp cst from kh? or its your own look alike?xj

A.C. said...

I've said already it's what Amai wore what..